Sunday 25 October 2015

Little Stories - 1 - Coconut Monkey

So, I was on my way back from dinner, walking along the road, when I come across this little shop, selling all sorts of stuff - snacks, water, bags of air with a few chips inside, cigarettes - you get the gist? Those tiny convenience stores (for lack of a better word), that we have on street corners all over the city.

At this shop, there was this little carved monkey sitting on top of the jars, with a cigarette in it's mouth! It even had hair. It was really cute, and I was intrigued. 


coconut monkey bandra bombay the pretty simple life

I spoke to the shopkeeper there.

Me - Where did you get it from?

Her - Oh, this. My brother carves these things out of dried coconut husks.

Me - Really? Does he sell these?

Her - No, he does this just as a hobby.

Me - Why doesn't he? I'm sure people would buy it!

Her - I know, and I've told him so, but he doesn't want to.

Me - Does he live in Bombay too?

Her - No, at Goa. Near the beach.

Me - Are you kidding? People would totally buy this at the night markets or flea markets!

Her - I know, but he doesn't want to sell it. We are simple people. We are content.

Food for thought, y'all. Learn to be happy with what you have! People like these who live such simple lives and yet are so satisfied and content. They aren't greedy for more. We could learn a lot from them. Have a good week :)

Find me on Twitter and Instagram. Comment below if you have any such small stories that resonate so beautifully :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow...I'd totally buy these....they serve as a great Cigarette Dispenser too!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...