Thursday 4 August 2016

Review - Cafe Military, Fort

Food: 3.5/5
VFM: 5/5
Ambience: 4/5
Service: 5/5
Veg friendly: 1/5



This is an old and tiny Parsi cafĂ© located in the little bylanes of Fort. It might be a little difficult for people to find, but it's at the corner so it'll be visible when you're walking around. Alternatively, you can ask around - I'm sure someone will be able to direct you to it. 

Now, as you know, I am a vegetarian so it's not exactly easy for me to find something to eat at Parsi cafes, no matter how much I like the old world charm and pretty decor. I do need the grub, my friend. 



I asked my very polite server what I can get, and he suggested veg dhandal patio, which is rice and veg gravy. I didn't really want rice that day so I skipped that. Since I do eat egg (I'm an eggetarian!), I figured I would go for the egg bhurji. It came with bread, not the Pav of the quintessential vada Pav, but actual proper bread. Soft yet with crusty edges, it was good bread. 



The bhurji was pretty decent too, but a little on the spicier side. Not too much though, plus I told them not to add green chillies, so that helped. It had finely chopped tomatoes and cilantro, served with sliced onions and lemon wedges, as you can see in the picture below. 


My friend had the mutton salli, which was served with rice and gravy. The bowl on the left contains the gravy, and the bowl on the right contains the mutton salli, garnished with cilantro. It seems to be a Parsi food mainstay, atleast at Cafe Military. She loved the mutton and said it was well cooked, and it's not even one of her favorite meats. The quantity of rice was generous too.



To top it off, we had caramel custard. I'm not generally a fan of caramel custard, so I had a taste when my friend ordered it. I liked it so much I ordered another for myself! 


VFM: One good thing it's very easy on the pocket, and considering the number of corporates nearby, they're probably cooking up a storm at any given point of time. The affordability definitely does not hurt. 


Ambience: It has an old world charm, and there are rickety bookshelves and the servers are great. It's got a great lazy charm. 


Service: The servers are really nice and attentive. Ask for anything, they'll bring it with a smile. And they suggested options for me when they found out I was veg. So that's nice. All Parsi cafes do tend to have that comfortably homey feeling. 

Veg friendly: Honestly if you don't eat any non veg or even egg, and you visit a Parsi cafe, be prepared to eat rice and gravy. 

Go try out the caramel custard at the very least! And if you try the dhandal patio, do let me know how it was. 




Cafe Military Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...