Monday 20 February 2017

Review - Mantraa Restaurant, Thane

Food: 4.5/5
VFM: 5/5
Ambience: 4/5
Service: 5/5
Veg friendly: 4/5




Mantraa is a newly revamped restaurant from the owners of Family Tree, which is now one of my favorites. So I was excited about visiting Mantraa because I already had really high expectations because of Family Tree's awesomeness.

We started off with some broccoli soup.



It had the perfect temperature and flavor, and it tastes amazing! I'm a broccoli fan, so it wasn't very difficult for me to love it, but even someone who doesn't love broccoli would definitely take to this soup, I'm sure.

Next, Pita Pocket Falafel.



Pita bread pockets filled with hummus and falafel, topped with julienned veggies and microgreens. This was exceptional, and felt very healthy, specially the microgreens added quite a crunch to the dish and I was sorry when it got over. Wish this place wasn't so far off in Thane, but yeah, people living in Thane, you MUST visit as soon as possible! This dish alone would be worth it.

Now, Spinach Squares.




A very creative dish. I wondered if it would taste good, but it allayed all my fears quite easily. It was ostensibly a square, so one would assume it would continue with the same texture throughout. But it was filled with spinach mousse inside, topped with fried garlic and chilli flakes. For the Indian palate, it would have been bland without those toppings. So that was much needed for the audience they are catering to. Good decision there, for sure.

Spinach and Kale fingers, which fast became a favorite at the table.



Spinach and kale, wrapped around cheese, which in turn is all wrapped in a phyllo roll of sorts. Super cheesy, you can also tell yourself that you are eating healthy because it has spinach and kale. And it is served with a delectable herb mayo, which makes for a great dip.



 And it looks so pretty too! Yummy. Craving it again now!

Paneer Achari now.


I've always thought it would be very spicy, after all the name is Achari, and I would probably have a small bite or so I could write about how it tastes for this review. But that is so not what happened! I actually really liked it, and it was not as scarily spicy as I thought it would be. I suppose it was because they got the Achari flavor perfectly balanced and of course, it was paneer, so it worked out great for me and my tastebuds!

Now it was time to move onto the mains, and I was already sorta full by then. By the way, that is exactly what happened at Family Tree too. We ordered pesto fusilli.



Really yummy and the pesto was just perfect! Pesto is very simple, with a minimal ingredient list, and I am surprised at how many places tend to mess it up. So I was quite happy when there were no extra unnecessary ingredients added, and they pulled it off really well. Also, I love bread in general, and the bread here was soft and yet crusty. Perfect accompaniment, really. 

On to dessert now, because although we were quite full, we also couldn't pass up dessert!

Apple Tart a la mode!


Perfectly made, warm, green apple tarts, topped with creamy vanilla ice cream and mint, with a generous drizzle of caramel. God, this was decadent. I loved it absolutely! One of my favorite desserts till date, and probably the only one without a hint of chocolate. And yet, I was crazy about it! So you can imagine how delectable this was. Temperatures, textures, flavors, all combined to create a spectacular dish.

Last but so definitely not the least, chocolate fondue.



Looks like white chocolate at first glance, and then when you start dipping, you see the vast amount of dark chocolate underneath, For dipping, there's marshmallows and strawberries. My God, if the apple tart was great, this was equally awesome. And of course, me having a huge weakness for chocolate, I felt this was even better. Also, I'm a strawberry fan, so that worked out great for me too. Sigh, I can almost taste it again.

VFM: This place gets major VFM points. What you see in the pictures are mostly all half portions. Yes, if you order the same things, you'll get double the quantity (For most, not all. Some were full size). Definitely value for money.

Ambience: Nice and welcoming, I would have liked a more well lit place, but I did choose a table near the huge windows, with an amazing amount of natural light. So it worked out great for me.




Service: Pretty good, with the manager personally attending and answering all my queries about the dishes! Our server was pretty knowledgeable too. As always, discreet yet attentive is my favorite kind of service, and Mantraa manages that, as well as Family Tree had done.

Veg friendly: Yes! So much! Recommended for vegetarians, even with the multitude of non veg options on their menu.

*This review was on invite, and the meal on the house. However, all views are unbiased.


Mantraa Bar & Restaurant Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...