Monday 16 January 2017

Bloggers Lunch at Peshwa Pavilion, ITC Maratha

I was so happy to be a part of the Bloggers Table at Peshwa Pavilion. The invite was for the launch of their new menu, The Luxury Collection. ITC has a huge focus on Responsible Luxury and has revamped their menu to reflect this. They are also big believers in local, organic, and sustainable produce, at the same time ensuring that still maintain the luxury, perfection and attention to detail that ITC is known for.



I was super excited about this meet because I couldn't wait to see what they had come up with. Imagine how my expectations were raised when this was in front of me:


I couldn't wait to try all these! Being vegetarian, I was glad there were an equal number of options for veg and non veg. Not too many places do us the courtesy of an equivalent number of options.

We met Chef Sourabh Rai, who is the junior sous chef at ITC Maratha and also oversees the operations at Peshwa Pavilion, has been with ITC since 2014. He explained to us each of the terms below.



Sattva - Food marked with this tag is made in a quarantined area away from contact with all non vegetarian items

Swasthya Cuisine - Sustainable + Healthy! For example, salmon contained a rich quantity of omega-3, which is a good fat and hence good for your body as it does not negatively affect your cholesterol levels. 




This ties in perfectly with their 'Choose Wisely' initiative. This was created in collaboration with WWF and Central Marine Fisheries Institute. Did you know ITC is the first company in India to adopt the Choose Wisely program with WWF? To illustrate this, Chef Sourabh Rai told us that the per capita consumption of fish in India has increased from 9.9 to 19.2 - from the 60s to now. More people need to be aware of this issue.

Also, there is an emphasis on local produce, and hence regional specialties like kokum are extensively used in their new revamped menu. Another example would be the use of local nuts like cashews instead of hazelnuts in a recipe.

The very first thing on the list were the Swasthya Beverages.


The first one was Carrot and Mono Floral Honey. This was just the right amount of sweet and high in vitamins and antioxidants. In case you didn't know, Mono floral honey is that which is made by bees which collect it from solely one plant.

The next was the Jamun and Mint Muddle. I liked this one a lot, and I don't even usually like Jamun! Sharp, tangy but still quite sweet. It had a slight astringent taste, which for some reason I liked. The mint leaves were extremely fresh, and added in no small measure to the flavor palette of the drink.

Last, but in my opinion best, the Date and Tender Coconut Blitz. The taste of both comes across strongly. An amazing combo, which was elevated in no less measure by the addition of black salt.

Chef Sourabh suggested Crusty Bread for the table, for something to munch on between courses. 



This crunchy bread was made of pearl millet(ragi), rye, rajgira (amaranth) and sundried tomatoes. Served with classic basil pesto. The bread was quite nice, and of course, super healthy. But I believe the pesto could've been a tad thicker. Otherwise, it was pretty good.

Next up, Molten Brie with Pretzel Crusts.



This was an entire wheel of cheese, breaded with pretzel crust. I mean, do you really need me to tell you that this is amazing? It was served with roast beet and spiced apple chutney. The spiced apple was a tad too tangy for my taste when I tied it solo, but no doubt it went really well with the apple chutney. I also paired it with the crusty bread, and the contrasting textures made it so gooood! It was also served with dill, mint and parsley mayo. What a great play of flavors! I just couldn't stop eating this. 

What was next? A Seasonal Squash and Carrot Puree.


This was served with melon seed. green onion, sambal, and flat rice noodles. I am a fan of flat noodles anyway, and I was not let down at all! It was amazing! I wanted more. Yummy, thick, and hearty. All the ingredients complemented each other so well. A dish I would definitely come back for.

The Green Burger BOP (BOP = Best of Pavilion)



Then buns are 'Good for You' rye and sunflower seed buns, served with a side of greens and fries. What's green?



Look at the patty! So Green! Zucchini, broccoli, asparagus, spinach, green peas, with some ricotta and oats. This was super yummy! Oats and crumb on top to complete what is possibly the healthiest burger I've ever had.

Next, Vada Pav. Now, I do love street food, no two ways about it. However, I don't much like Vada Pav, but I was willing to give it a shot here.



Served with teekha chutney, meetha chutney and the dry powder that they usually sprinkle on the bun before putting the vada inside.The chutneys were served in a pipette, which was something that all of us found super cute.

Last of the mains, Pumpkin Ricotta Gnocchi.



Embellished with amber butter, dates, and charoli nuts, this was absolutely fabulous! The medley of flavors were to die for. And the amber butter, oh God. Such delightful flavor combinations. I had never even thought pumpkin and ricotta would work so well with each other before I had this dish.

On to my favorite part of every single meal - Dessert!

First, Pavilion Chocolate Fudge, served with jaggery caramel sauce.


Served with berries, nuts, mascarpone and ice cream. Absolutely delectable. I was not sure how jaggery and caramel would fit, but it fit beautifully. And the fudge was just the right amount of sweet. Even with the ice cream and mascarpone, it didn't get cloyingly sweet. The berries added a much required tartness, too.

Next and last dish of the day, White Chocolate Cheesecake, served with spiced forest berry compote.



Being a major chocolate lover, and a dark chocolate fan at that; I was so surprised when I loved this more than the Chocolate Fudge! With white chocolate shavings on top, and the citrus freshness, there was already a flavorful bite right there. But the addition of the spiced berries took it to ecstasy levels.

One of the best meals I've had at a bloggers' table, I heartily recommend this place to everyone! Their food is not just tasty and healthy, but truly does follow their concept of Responsible Luxury.


The Peshwa Pavilion - ITC Maratha Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...